Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is seeking a Solicitor for a permanent, full-time position for the Solicitor Services Team, primarily providing legal services in real property.
HRM Legal Services provides quality, cost effective, timely and accessible legal services to meet the needs of HRM through its Council, various departments, boards, commissions, and employees. This Solicitor would be a member of the Solicitor Services Team, reporting to a Team Lead and the Director, and would provide legal services to the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM)
The Solicitor is responsible for providing legal advice and assistance to HRM staff conducting daily business and long term planning for the HRM. The Solicitor will provide accessible, efficient and expert counsel in legal matters responsive to client department needs. The Solicitor will be a client focused and self-motivated individual who will work both independently and with a team of lawyers and support staff, including another real property lawyer and paralegal, in the delivery of legal services to HRM client departments.
Please go to www.halifax.ca/employment/index.php for complete details and to submit your application.
- Law Degree from a recognized university;
- Minimum eight (8) years relevant experience in the practice of law;
- Member of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society or be qualified to be admitted;
- Experience in the following areas of practice: property/real estate transactions, corporate, commercial
- Experience in municipal, corporate and/or commercial law would be considered an asset.
Technical and Job Specific Knowledge:
- Technical Skills: possesses strong legal skills with emphasis on an understanding of the fundamentals of real property law, ability to analyze legal documents, litigation basics and ability to write comprehensive and concise legal opinions.
- Research Skills: possesses a sound knowledge of legal research techniques and software. Has the ability to research and synthesize complex legal and factual materials.
- Business Fundamentals: understands tactical business fundamentals and risk/benefit analysis and incorporates them into decision making or advice provided. Also able to use basic rules: uses "rules of thumb", common sense, and past experiences to identify problems.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook).
Work outside of regular business hours may be required to meet organizational needs.