Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is seeking a Solicitor for a permanent, full time position for the Litigation Team. HRM Legal Services provides quality, cost effective, timely and accessible legal services to meet the needs of HRM through its' Council, various departments, boards, commissions, and employees. This Solicitor would be a member of the Litigation Team, reporting to a Team Lead and the Director. The Litigation Team represents and provides legal adviceto the Municipality with respect to a broad range of legal proceedings, including legislative challenges, personal injury litigation, commercial litigations and arbitrations, employment law and labour arbitrations, before various levels of court and numerous tribunals.
The successful candidate will be client focused and a self-motivated individual who will work both independently with minimal supervision and with a team of lawyers and support staff. They will be responsible for the conduct of litigation including managing their own caseload and assisting senior counsel with the conduct of more complex cases. They will demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour expected of the legal profession.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides general litigation and dispute resolution services and advice to HRM, its business units, agencies, boards, and commissions
- Complies with HRM Legal Services' Client Service Standards and Service Level Agreements
- Represents clients in legal proceedings before courts and administrative tribunals
- Assists senior counsel with preparation and conduct of litigation and dispute resolution
- Maintains up to date knowledge and expertise in areas of law including statutes, case law, legal proceedings , and trends in the the context of public law
- Conducts legal research and provides legal opinions
- Participates as part of the litigation team
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with client business units
- Attends meetings such as community councils or regional council, as required or assigned
- Case management of legal files
- Other job duties as required
- Law degree from a recognized university
- 2-5 years relevant experience in the practice of law
- Member of the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society or be qualified to be admitted
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of practice: litigation, labour, contract, administrative, procurement and municipal
Technical and Job Specific Knowledge
- Basic legal skills with emphasis on an understanding of the fundamentals of municipal law
- Ability to analyze legal documents, litigation basics and ability to write comprehensive yet concise legal opinions
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook)
- Sound knowledge of legal research techniques and software with ability to research and synthesize complex legal and factual materials
- Understands tactical business fundamentals and risk/benefit analysis, incorporates information into decision making or advice provided.
- Applies basic rules, common sense,and past experiences to identify and address problems
Quality of Work: Implies a committment to meet or exceed a standard of excellence, focusing attention on achieving effective outcomes, demonstating a sense of urgency, and showing initiative in developing and implementing decisions focused on achieving business results. It requires an awareness of the business issues, processes and outcomes as they impact the organization's strategic direction.
Client Services: Implies a committment to help or serve others, to meet client needs in alignment to corporate goals and objectives. It implies focussing one's efforts on building relationships, and discovering and measuring the needs of internal colleagues, citizens, elected officials or other contacts. It implies demonstrating a positive attitude, energy, resilience, stamina, and the courage to take responsilbe risks. It also implies demonstrating the knowledge and skills applied to lawyers to prevent, monitor, control,and transfer risk.
Communication: Implies effective, timely and relevant exchange of information that is respectful of the diversity of people and the geography and working environments of internal colleagues, citizens, elected officials or anyone that the person is commuicating with. It includes receiving information, listening, understanding and responding openly and effectively in interactions with others. It includes assessing information to understand both content and intent, to detect missing information, errors and contradictions. It also implies that this information is processed into effective actions.
WORK STATUS: Full time, permanent position
HOURS OF WORK: Core hours Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with additional hours as required to meet organizational needs.
SALARY: Compensation is commensurate with experience and education within the non-union Solicitor I pay band ($60,000.00-$88,500.00 per annum)
WORK LOCATION: 5251 Duke Street, Duke Tower, 3rd Floor, Halifax, Nova Scotia
CLOSING DATE: March 28, 2016
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Not applicable.
If you are considering a challenging career move that offfers a competitive compensation package with benefits and pension plan, and if you are seeking to join the team that provides legal expertise to HRM, staff, and Council, please submit your application with cover letter.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree posseses specialized knowledge or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term or contract employment.
Position Number: 72285757
Applicants must apply at the following address: http://www.halifax.ca/employment/