Legal Assistant - Real Estate
The office of Boudrot Rodgers is now accepting resumes for a legal assistant with real estate conveyance experience to join our team at our newly acquired Baddeck office. This unique opportunity will afford the ideal candidate the ability to move, or move home, to Baddeck and enjoy the tranquil community Cape Breton/Baddeck is known for.
The office is a small, one lawyer office and boasts a very healthy real estate practice. In addition to being the only assistant, the accepted candidate will also have an administrative role in managing the day to day operations of the office.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for daily correspondence, real estate document preparation, responding to client phone calls regarding the status of their real estate closing;
- Preparing and managing files as well as diarizing important dates to follow up;
- Requesting mortgage information statements and discharge statements for existing mortgages that are to be discharged on closing, as well as requesting tax certificates and confirmation of insurance;
- Conducting judgment searches and reviewing parcel registers on Property Online, as well as registering deeds and mortgages upon closing;
- Reading and understanding closing instructions;
- Preparing undertakings;
- Liaising with legal assistants, clients, other lawyers, mortgage brokers, mortgage agents, realtors and banks on file progress;
- Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Qualities & Experience Required
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Legal Assistant in Real Estate Conveyancing/Closings;
- Ability to read a parcel register and identify potential problems;
- Formal Legal Assistant education and training an asset;
- Advanced software skills, particularly with PCLaw, Time Matters and Property Online;
- Ability to remain productive within time-sensitive and fast-paced environment;
- Dedication to providing friendly, reliable, and prompt service to clients;
- Excellent communication (written & verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to listen effectively, respond appropriately, and maintain mutual comfort level while relating to a diverse group of individuals;
- Strong ability to perform well and be unfailingly diplomatic in a high pressure environment with multiple clients;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to multitask, establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives under minimal supervision.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, please send your resume to:
Attn: Michelle LeBlanc, Office Manager