Downtown Dartmouth Firm - 2 assistant positions
Downtown Dartmouth law firm looking for experienced Legal Assistants to fill two full time positions with our firm. Positions to start immediately. For both positions, the following skills and abilities are being sought:
- Experience working in a law office and a good working knowledge of legal terminology, legal research and court procedures.
- Ability to face challenges with innovative solutions, and an interest in developing new and innovative methods of responding to legal issues.
- Ability to work independently and to use good judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team setting.
- Excellent typing and communication skills, including attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to meet deadlines and balance multiple competing priorities.
- High degree of organization and pride in work.
- Proficiency with personal computers including knowledge and facility with programs such as WordPerfect, Outlook and PCLaw.
Family Law Assistant
We are seeking someone with 5 or more years of experience in the area of family law. Typical duties would include:
- Drafting, reviewing and correcting dictations.
- Rough drafting of documents such as applications to Court, Financial Statements, and Property Statements.
- Obtaining information to prepare Affidavits.
- Drafting of Affidavits.
- Preparation, issuance and arranging for the service of Subpoenas.
- Tracking status of case through Court process, filing deadlines.Intake of information of new clients and client contact as directed.
- Organization of file materials and exhibits for trials and settlement conferences.
- Preparation of file for closure by lawyer.
We are seeking a candidate with 1 or more years experience in property transactions to become a third member of our property department. Typical duties would include:
- Intake information and file opening.
- Working in Property Online re basic information and setup for filing.
- Obtaining municipal information such as taxes and clearances.
- Drafting of closing adjustments.
- Mortgage preparation and funds requisitioning.
- Final report preparation.
- Scanning of documents and closing of files.
Please forward your covering letter and resume, along with your salary expectations, to Bruce McLaughlin at OfficeManager@weldonmcinnis.ca. Please indicate which of the two positions for which the application is being made.