Legal and Legislative Officer
With offices in Halifax, Riverview, and Charlottetown, Atlantic Central’s role is to provide liquidity management, payments processing and trade association services that support member credit unions in Atlantic Canada. Atlantic Central provides leadership, advocacy and a range of support services in the fulfillment of these key functions. Through our leadership and the excellence of our people, products and services, we support credit unions in becoming the financial institution of choice. The Company includes its subsidiary League Savings and Mortgage Company – a federally regulated financial institution that partners with member credit unions to provide mortgages and other financial services.
Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal and Legislative Officer to provide high-quality, confidential research (including legal research), and project and administrative support to several departments in our Finance and Corporate Services Division and throughout the Company. This position also plays a key role in the development and maintenance of corporate policies, procedures and guidelines.
Atlantic Central takes pride in our progressive corporate culture, and deeply appreciates the value of the contributions of all employees. In addition to providing opportunities in a dynamic corporate environment, employees are encouraged to grow and develop through our Performance Management Program. Atlantic Central offers competitive benefits, and an opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing and Incentive Plan.
Reporting to Legal Counsel, the Legal and Legislative Officer is generally responsible for:
- Working with Legal Counsel, conducting legal and other research for the Company including: conducting research and analysis in relation to situations and/or issues as they arise; monitoring changes to the Company’s governing legislation and corporate by-laws; composing summaries and/or memoranda on various matters and preparing and discussing appropriate resolutions.
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of corporate policies, procedures, guidelines and handbooks including: developing, maintaining and updating procedures, compliance procedures, the Code of Corporate Ethics and Business Conduct and the Employee Handbook of Corporate Policies.
- Providing Corporate Secretarial support including: assisting with drafting resolutions and by-laws as required; developing and maintaining a working knowledge of the policies and by-laws of the Company; ensuring appropriate records are maintained for referral by the companies and assisting with reviews of the by-laws.
- Administering the process for legislative advocacy by assisting the Corporate Secretary and/or Legal Counsel define the advocacy issue and determine the appropriate stakeholders to consult; drafting communications explaining issue and desired outcomes to stakeholders and Company subject matter experts; monitoring and compiling responses from stakeholders and drafting Company or system response for review by Corporate Secretary.
- Assisting with legal/corporate annual and periodic regulatory filings with various federal and provincial regulators, preparing appropriate documentation and monitoring filing requirements.
- Providing compliance support to the Compliance Officer and Director, Risk Management including: compiling and preparing information for the quarterly compliance reports for the Board of Directors; reporting regularly on compliance status; maintaining and distributing records or reports for auditing purposes and/or for review by the federal or provincial regulators; updating and maintaining the various compliance review schedules and distributing the schedules as required and assisting with compliance related matters involving the federal and provincial regulators.
- Providing high-quality project support to the Legal Services and Office of the Corporate Secretary Department, the Executive Management Team.
- Preparing correspondence, training materials, presentations and reports.
- Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree plus have three to five years relevant experience in high-quality research and writing, and policy drafting and development in a corporate setting; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience. A paralegal diploma or equivalent would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability in understanding and assisting with corporate secretarial practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal terminology, principles, practices and procedures of the law as it pertains to the organization.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook).
- Demonstrated skills in conducting legal and other research.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability in providing training, using the principles of adult education, and facilitation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating, composing and editing written materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability in maintaining a high level of discretion and confidentiality in handling confidential and personal information.
- Demonstrated ability for accuracy and attention to detail.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-5 ($45,722 - $53,791). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on January 8, 2016.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)