Legal Administrative Assistant, Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board
The Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (NSUARB) is an independent quasi-judicial tribunal with broad regulatory and adjudicative jurisdiction over a wide scope of subject areas. More information on the Board can be found here.
We are looking for a highly-skilled and experienced Administrative Assistant to join our team. Using your strong organizational, communication, and computer skills, you will provide administrative support to two Members of the Board. You are detail-oriented and enjoy working in a team-oriented environment. You are an organized self-starter with the ability to work independently to prioritize tasks within tight deadlines. Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential, as are strong interpersonal skills, in effectively interacting with Board Members, staff and stakeholders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare a wide variety of routine and complex documents while ensuring high degree of accuracy.
- Transcribe dictations/sound files.
- File, retrieve and circulate documents.
- Answer telephone calls, take messages, and exercise initiative in directing and assisting callers.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, appointments, and conference calls; make travel arrangements and coordinate itineraries.
- Assist with arranging Board hearings and related meetings.
- Compile and maintain hearing-related files.
- Provide back-up and support to fellow administrative assistants.
- Provide reception relief on a rotational basis and as needed.
- Perform Hearing Assistant duties as needed.
- Post-secondary diploma or certificate in Business Administration or Paralegal Services.
- Minimum 5 years of post-graduation experience - preferably in a professional legal environment.
- High level skills in word-processing and computer use including, proficiency in MS Office Products, Adobe Acrobat, document management programs (e.g. eDocs DM); and case management programs (e.g. FileMaker).
- Exceptional transcription, grammar and proofreading skills.
- High degree of attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential and sensitive materials required.
- Perform online legal research for case law, statutory references, etc., as required.
- Must have a “can do”, results focussed attitude, and be a proactive problem-solver.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion and sound judgement.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates.
- Working conditions may include irregular hours therefore the ability to be flexible and adapt to change is required.
- Fluency in written and oral French would be an asset.
An acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered. Please clearly indicate in your resume or covering letter how you meet the qualifications and requirements for this position.
Salary Range: $38,950 to $48,680 (depending on qualifications and experience). In addition, the NSUARB offers a comprehensive benefits package.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the satisfactory results of:
- reference checks,
- criminal background checks, and
- verification of your credentials.
Closing date for applications is 4:30 pm, October 30, 2015.
The NSUARB supports equity in employment. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Information about the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board can be found by visiting our website at: www.nsuarb.novascotia.ca
Applicants replying by email submission are asked to merge their cover letter and resume into one file. Send merged document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the email subject line reads as: Administrative Assistant UARB 03-15.
For those applying by regular mail or delivery please quote the competition number and job title in the cover letter and clearly mark the envelope PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL. Applications being submitted by regular mail should be sent to:
Human Resources Officer
Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board
1601 Lower Water Street
P.O. Box 1692, Unit “M”
Halifax, NS B3J 3S3
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.