Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is seeking a Solicitor for a permanent, full time position for the Litigation Team, primarily providing legal services to Halifax Regional Police.HRM Legal Services provides quality, cost effective, timely and accessible legal services to meet the needs of HRM through its Council, various departments, boards, commissions, and employees.
This Solicitor would be a member of the Litigation Team, reporting to a Team Lead and the Director, and provide legal services to the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM).The Solicitor is responsible for providing legal advice and assistance to HRM staff conducting daily business and long term planning for the HRM. The Solicitor will provide accessible, efficient and expert counsel in legal matters responsive to client department needs. The Solicitor will be client focused and a self-motivated individual who will work both independently and with a team of lawyers and support staff in the delivery of legal services to HRM client departments
.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides general solicitor and litigation services to HRM; its business units, agencies, boards and commissions, as assigned, including the Halifax Regional Police and Board of Police Commissioners, with an emphasis on municipal law, police law, labour law, litigation, contracts, administrative law and procurement matters, as required
- Complies with HRM Legal Services’ Client Service Standards and Service Level Agreements
- Conducts legal research and provides legal opinions
- Maintains up to date knowledge and expertise in areas of law including statutes, case law, legal proceedings, and trends in the context of public law
- Represents clients in legal proceedings before courts and administrative tribunals, as required
- Attends meetings such as community councils or regional council, as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Law Degree from a recognized university
- 2-5 years relevant experience in the practice of law
- Member of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society or be qualified to be admitted
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of practice: litigation, labour, contract, administrative, procurement and municipal
- Experience working with the Police Act and Regulations and law enforcement agencies would be considered an asset
Technical and Job Specific Knowledge:
- Technical Skills: possesses basic legal skills with emphasis on an understanding of the fundamentals of municipal law, ability to analyze legal documents, litigation basics and ability to write comprehensive yet concise legal opinions.
- Research Skills: possesses a sound knowledge of legal research techniques and software. Has the ability to research and synthesize complex legal and factual materials.
- Business Fundamentals: understands tactical business fundamentals and risk/benefit analysis and incorporates them into decision making or advice provided. Also he or she is able to use basic rules: uses "rules of thumb", common sense, and past experiences to identify problems.
COMPETENCIES: Quality of Work/Client Services/Communication
WORK STATUS: Full time, permanent position
HOURS OF WORK: Hours of work are Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. To meet organizational needs, work outside of regular business hours may be required
SALARY: Non Union Salary, Solicitor 1 ($40,000 - $88,500 per annum)
WORK LOCATION: 5251 Duke Street, Duke Tower, 3rd Floor, Halifax, Nova Scotia
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to midnight on May 5, 2015.We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify. Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment. Position #72285757
PLEASE APPLY AT: http://www.halifax.ca/employment/index.php