Nova Scotia Power’s greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We’re hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. We are currently looking to fill the position of Solicitor.
Accountabilities: Under the direction of the Senior Solicitor, the Solicitor will advise on a broad range of corporate/commercial issues relating to our business. The successful candidate will work with the senior management team and other members of NSPI’s legal services team on assessing and advising on strategies to address business issues, opportunities and risks. The incumbent will be involved with a wide variety of legal matters including the following:
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting of commercial contracts (procurement and services related);
- Interpretation of and provision of advice on the Company’s contractual obligations;
- Provision of legal review of Company activities and business decisions to provide legal advice on future steps and to identify legal risks;
- Provide counsel to internal business departments on diverse range of issues including procurement, privacy, employment and labour, environment, and real estate;
- Coordinate and cooperate with other business units within the Company to identify legal issues and risks;
- Assist in the co-ordination and supervision of outside counsel, including in regards to litigation matters;
- The review and interpretation of laws, rules and regulations for compliance purposes;
- Managing external counsel; and
- Assessing and advising on strategies to address business issues, opportunities and risks.
You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of co-workers, by observing and ensuring compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations. You will be accountable for environmental performance as it relates to the environmental management system processes and initiatives.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience: Preferred candidates will have a law degree along with three (3) to eight (8) years of corporate and commercial legal experience as in-house counsel or in private practice. You must be, or are eligible to be, a member of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society.
This position will appeal to individuals seeking a demanding role in a progressive organization. Excellent communication skills, the ability to work effectively on a team and an analytical mind are requisite competencies. You also offer the ability to offer strategic, practical solutions to business and legal problems in a fast-paced environment. Experience in the areas of energy and construction law would be considered an asset.
Reports to: Senior Solicitor
Form of Application: Click here to apply online. Complete all required information fields, and copy and paste your covering letter and resume into the online form.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Must be received by: All interested candidates should apply no later than December 5, 2014. Late applications may not receive consideration.
Recruitment and Promotion Policy: When filling vacant positions, we are determined to hire the best candidates available.
We're committed to providing employees with a fair and equal opportunity to compete for jobs. Hiring and promotion of employees is based on skills, capabilities, knowledge and demonstrated abilities.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including African Nova Scotians and other members of the visible minority community, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles.
Normally, unless otherwise requested in advance, the supervisors of internal candidates selected for an interview will be contacted in order to facilitate scheduling of the interviews. The supervisor will maintain the confidentiality of the employee's application.