Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) is seeking a Solicitor for a term position of six months up to one year to assist the Solicitors Services Team.With HRM as its client, Legal Services provides quality, cost effective, timely and accessible legal services to meet the needs of HRM through its Council, various departments, boards, commissions, and employees. This Solicitor would be a member of the Solicitor Services Team, reporting to a Team Lead and the Director, and is responsible for providing legal services to the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) supporting this area of responsibility in Legal Services.The Solicitor is responsible for providing legal advice and assistance to HRM staff conducting daily business and long term planning for the HRM. The Solicitor will provide accessible, efficient and expert counsel in legal matters responsive to client department needs. The Solicitor will be client focused and a self-motivated individual who will work both independently and with a team of lawyers and support staff in the delivery of legal services to HRM client departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides general solicitor services to HRM, its agencies, boards and commissions, as assigned, with an emphasis on municipal law, corporate commercial transactions, contracts, real estate transactions and procurement matters, as required
- Complies with HRM Legal Services’ Client Service Standards and Service Level Agreements
- Conducts legal research and provides legal opinions
- Maintains up to date knowledge and expertise in areas of law including statutes, case law, legal proceedings, and trends in the context of public law
- Represents clients in legal proceedings before courts and administrative tribunals, as required
- Attends meetings such as community councils or regional council, as required or assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Law Degree from a recognized university
- Member of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society or be qualified to be admitted
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of practice: corporate, commercial, contract, real estate, administrative and municipal
Please go to http://www.halifax.ca/employment/ to review the complete posting and to apply. This posting closes midnight, September 5, 2014.