Legal Assistant - St. John's, NL - multiple positions
The Newfoundland & Labrador Legal Aid Commission is expanding! We are proud to provide an innovative and collaborative legal aid system that responds to the needs of low income persons. Our services promote access to justice through the provision of quality legal assistance for criminal, family and some administrative law matters. Legal services are provided through a staff based delivery model via eleven full service offices, five project offices and duty counsel services province wide.
We are currently seeking Legal Assistants – 2 full-time and a 9 month maternity replacement for the St. John’s Area Office. Reporting to the Area Director, the typical duties of the position include, but are not limited to: Responsibilities:
- Preparing, reviewing and editing a wide range of legal documents and correspondence of a confidential nature, transcribing dictation as needed, ensuring high quality, accuracy and comprehensiveness
- Managing all incoming and outgoing mail, e-mail, faxes and phone calls in a confidential, organized and efficient manner
- Establishing and maintaining a current calendar of events and a deadline reminder system for assigned lawyer(s) – arranging meetings, coordinating travel arrangements and scheduling appointments
- Creating and maintaining a filing system, including opening and closing files in a timely fashion and performing conflict searches
- Acting as a liaison between assigned lawyers and clients, as well as internal departments and outside agencies as requested
- Assisting with knowledge sharing, mentoring and training of co-workers and new employees as requested
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Legal or Administrative Assistant Diploma or comparable experience in a similar role
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced office environment
Employees of the Newfoundland and Labrador Legal Aid Commission are covered under the Provincial Government Pension Plan and Health Plan. An optional Dental Plan and Disability Plan are also available. The salary range for this position is $39,275.60 to $43,479.80.
Applications may be mailed or faxed to:
Newfoundland and Labrador Legal Aid Commission
Attn: Human Resources
Suite 300, 251 Empire Avenue
St. John’s, NL A1C 3H9
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: June 18, 2014