Senior Legal Counsel - Capital District Health Authority
Capital District Health Authority is seeking to fill the position of Senior Legal Counsel
Responsibilities: Capital District Health Authority (Capital Health) is the largest District Health Authority in the Province of Nova Scotia. As such, it is a complex organization subject to a significant amount of legislation, regulations, by-laws, policies and procedures. Capital Health is affiliated with Dalhousie University in many areas including the appointment of Medical Staff and the delivery of numerous educational programs and cooperative research initiatives. Senior Legal Counsel is a member of Capital Health's Leadershift Community and acts as a senior corporate resource to Capital Health. Together with Capital Health's General Counsel, he/she performs or supervises the performance of complex legal work for Capital Health's leaders and other Capital Health stakeholders. Senior Legal Counsel advises Capital Health on legal issues of significant importance to general operations including legal issues sensitive to political/public relations. He/she represents Capital Health in legal proceedings or supervises such representation.
- Bachelor of Laws from a recognized Canadian University
- Practising member or eligibility for practising member status with the Nova Scotia Barristers Society.
- Minimum of 8 years in active practice as a Barrister and Solicitor with an emphasis in such areas as Corporate Commercial, Administrative and Health Law
- Very high level of judgment and initiative required
- Ability to provide leadership and to foster a cooperative environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and negotiating skills
- Ability to draft institutional policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, contracts, briefs, position statements and legal responses.
- Ability to perform complex legal research and to provide competent legal advice to Leadership Enabling Team and Capital Health's other leaders on a wide range of legal and policy issues related to all aspects of healthcare delivery and business operations of a public Health Care Authority.
- Detailed knowledge of federal and provincial statutes and regulations applicable to the delivery of healthcare and business operations of a public Health District Authority.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic approaches to resolution of complex and/or sensitive legal issues.
- Ability to supervise investigations, analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Knowledge of judicial and administrative law systems and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of corporate commercial law and contract law.
- High degree of tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of healthcare law and experience in acting as legal counsel to District Health Authorities an asset.
- Experience in management of business interests and leadership of legal personnel desirable
- Established relationships with government departments/legal counsel desirable.
- Experience working with and understanding of governance in public sector desirable
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work: Permanent full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
Salary: Senior Legal Counsel – $48.3642 - $60.4555 hourly
Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. We will contact you should you be selected for an interview.
Capital Health is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment that promotes our vision - Healthy people, healthy communities. Successful applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment.
For more information or to apply, please visit Capital Health's Career Opportunities website (JobID 1017103) at: https://erecruit.cdha.nshealth.ca/psc/EXTAPP/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL