Transfers from other provinces

A member of a Canadian law society who holds a degree in Common law from a Canadian university (or equivalent as certified by the National Committee on Accreditation) may apply for transfer to the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society. These applicants either qualify for admission on transfer under the National Mobility Agreement (NMA) or Territorial Mobility Agreement (TMA) and Regulation 6.2.2, or do not qualify under the NMA or TMA and Regulation 6.2.2.

Qualify for Admission on Transfer under the NMA or TMA

These Applicants must meet the criteria for transfer under the NMA or TMA and the Society’s Regulations. In summary, the Applicant must be a practising and insured member of the home jurisdiction and be in good standing (for example, the applicant cannot have a discipline record, open complaint, practice restriction, etc.). The onus is on the Applicant to ensure they qualify under the NMA or TMA. While the Barristers’ Society will make this determination, an Applicant can confirm this by contacting their law society.

Do not qualify for Admission on Transfer under the NMA or TMA

These Applicants do not meet the criteria for transfer under NMA or TMA and the Society’s Regulations (see above). Please contact the Society’s Administrator, Education & Credentials, to discuss your situation.

Transfers from Québec

Procedures for transfers

Applicants must complete an Application for Admission on Transfer and provide all referenced documentation and fees. An application must be submitted to the Barristers’ Society at least six weeks prior to the anticipated Bar Admission date. Bar Admission dates are posted on the Society’s website. In order to be considered, an application must be complete – all supporting materials received and application fee paid.
We strive to process complete applications with no public interest issues within two weeks. Timelines may be extended during periods of high application volume, particularly from April 1 to July 15. See Policy on Timelines. Applications with character or fitness issues must be referred to the Credentials Committee.
Applicants who qualify under the NMA or TMA do not write the Bar Examination, although other conditions may apply. Generally, applicants who do not qualify under the NMA or TMA must, at a minimum, successfully complete the Bar Examination. For applicants with little practice experience or who have been absent from active practice in Canada for some time, other conditions may be imposed, such as a period of supervision. See Policy on Applications for Transfer from Another Canadian Jurisdiction.
The Society provides an admission information package to each applicant for admission.
Note: A transfer applicant cannot practise law in Nova Scotia until the applicant is called to the Bar in Nova Scotia or has been granted a special permit pending the applicant’s call to the Nova Scotia Bar, pursuant to Regulation 6.3.4(b).
To be granted a permit, the applicant must qualify under the NMA or TMA, have a confirmed job offer in Nova Scotia, and have submitted a Transfer Application. The Society must also have received a Certificate of Standing from the applicant’s home jurisdiction. The permit application is included in the Application for Admission on Transfer.

Once you are called

To assist you once you have been called, the NSBS has created a primer for new members. Please see the NSBS Guide for new lawyers

For more information

If you have any questions regarding admission on transfer, please call or write:


Administrator, Education & Credentials
Cogswell Tower, 800–2000 Barrington Street

Halifax, NS  B3J 3K1

T: (902) 422 1491  |  F: (902) 429 4869