RISK AND PRACTICE MANAGEMENT TIP: New Year’s resolutions!
With 2017 just around the corner, we thought we would look ahead to the New Year and offer some suggestions on how to make the upcoming year even better than the last:
- Are there some financial goals or growth you have in mind? Develop a critical path plan for the upcoming year.
- What about new and exciting networking opportunities? Have you considered mentoring? (LIANS has a great mentoring program!) Or volunteer with your local county bar or CBA.
- How about giving back to your own non-legal community through volunteer work?
- How about learning a new skill? Consider learning a second (or third or fourth!) new language.
- How is your tech knowledge? Proficient in all the software programs you use? Why not take a course and become the resident expert?
- Review and update your office systems. When is the last time you updated your operating system?
- Consider the importance of work/life balance and try a new hobby or sport! Or maybe start a bit smaller: promise yourself that you will take a 30-minute walk at lunchtime, three days a week.
- Consider taking some time on a regular basis to write a personal thank you note to a colleague, a client or staff person.
- Many have gotten into the habit of overbooking their schedules. If you’re one of these, resolve to carve out an hour or two each week for yourself. And keep it sacred!
Resolutions need not be onerous and time consuming. Small changes can yield significant results. From all of us at LIANS, have a safe and happy holiday season!
For more information about the LIANS mentorship program, visit our page at www.lians.ca/services/mentorship-program
If you have any questions on these or any other risk- or practice-related matters, do not hesitate to contact Stacey Gerrard, LIANS Counsel with the Risk and Practice Management Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 902 423 1300 ext. 345.