ProvinceCall for nominations and applications: Queen’s Counsel appointments 2018
In the fall of this year the Advisory Committee on Queen’s Counsel Appointments, chaired by the Honourable Justice Cindy A. Bourgeois, will consider candidates for the next Queen’s Counsel appointments.
The criteria for these appointments are:
- fifteen years or more as a member of the Bar of Nova Scotia as of September 30, 2018 and eligible to practise law in Nova Scotia;
- demonstrated professional integrity, good character and outstanding contributions to the practice of law through one or more of:
- recognition by other members of the profession as an exceptional barrister or solicitor,
- exceptional contributions through legal scholarship, teaching or continuing legal education,
- demonstration of exceptional qualities of leadership in the profession, and
- engaging in activities of a public or charitable nature in such a way as to raise the esteem in which the legal profession is held by the public;
- the Advisory Committee on Queen’s Counsel Appointments is asked to consider regional, gender and minority representation among the persons recommended for appointment as Queen’s Counsel.
In order to be considered as a candidate for a Queen’s Counsel appointment, you must apply or be nominated pursuant to this request. Applications and nominations from previous years will not be considered.
A complete application or nomination package must consist of:
- An original and one copy of the Authorization for Disclosure of Information and Release Form; and
An original and twelve copies of the following documents:
- Application or Nomination Form;
- Information form. (Ordinarily the information will be confined to the Form provided. However, if you find the space on the Form insufficient, you may provide up to an additional two pages. Material exceeding the additional two pages will not be forwarded to the Committee); and
- Two Letters of Reference. (One letter is to come from within the Bar or Judiciary. The second letter is to come from outside the Bar and Judiciary.)
These forms are available on the Queen’s Counsel process page of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society website.
Persons may either apply personally or may nominate a member of the Bar. All applicants will be treated equally by the Committee whether they are nominated, or whether they apply personally.
Your complete application or nomination must be received by Justice Bourgeois no later than 4:00 pm, Friday, September 28, 2018. It may be mailed or delivered to:
Advisory Committee on Queen’s Counsel Appointments
c/o The Honourable Justice Cindy A. Bourgeois
The Law Courts, 1815 Upper Water Street
Halifax, NS B3J 1S7
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Karen Hudson, QC
Deputy Minister of Justice