Continuing professional development is readily available to lawyers across Nova Scotia in a number of formats. Many programs are now online, so lawyers can learn in the convenience of their own homes and offices, on their own timetables.
Increasingly, lawyers are organizing CPD study groups – thereby ensuring their CPD is relevant and available at no or little cost.
Formal programming is offered through a wide range of CPD providers, including but not limited to the following:
- CPD File (www.cpdfile.com) is Canada’s most comprehensive directory of CPD activities, featuring hundreds of courses from dozens of providers, and is free to use;
- CPDonline (www.CPDonline.ca) provides on-demand video CPD content to lawyers across Canada
- the Canadian Bar Association offers a variety of programming in person and online;
- County Bar associations are creating education opportunities for lawyers throughout Nova Scotia;
- the LIANS Risk and Practice Management Program;
- Dalhousie’s Schulich School of Law, including the popular "Sessions @ Schulich" series;
- the Real Estate Lawyers Association of Nova Scotia (RELANS);
- the Atlantic Provinces Trial Lawyers Association; and
- universities, the government, law firms and many other education providers.
If you have questions about available resources or whether a particular option is appropriate, email us at CPD@nsbs.org or phone the CPD line at 902 422 1491 (ext. 371). Your queries will be answered within five business days.