What Litigators Should Know about Contract Drafting
Why should litigators study contract drafting? Our profession has a tendency to draw a distinction between litigation and transactional law; however, most cases are settled outside of court and settlement usually entails a settlement agreement, which is a contract. In fact, settlement agreements are particularly dangerous drafting projects because the parties are litigious when the drafting begins. Will the terms of the settlement agreements you draft stand the test of a challenge? Take the necessary step to hone your contract drafting skills in this convenient, highly practical webinar. In just 90 minutes, experienced transactional lawyer and noted contract drafting instructor Lenne’ Espenschied will show you:
- how drafting differs from legal writing;
- why you need to “draft” differently than you "write";
- how to avoid all too common drafting errors that cause ambiguity;
- which words to use and which words to refuse;
- how to frame terms of obligation; and
- much more!