Public Law Class Actions
From proceedings against police stemming from the G20 summit, to lawsuits filed by inmates related to treatment in penitentiaries, there is no shortage of examples of class actions launched against the government and its institutions. How do these cases differ from class actions against private entities, and from other public law litigation?
Join our expert panel to explore practical strategies for prosecuting or defending public law class actions, including:
- Navigating the intersection of the Class Proceedings Act and the Proceedings Against the Crown Act
- Acting for communities: helpful advice for communicating with class members and balancing their interests
- How does the public element impact the commonality analysis?
- Unique evidentiary issues
- Coordinating your litigation strategy with a media/public relations strategy
- How the underlying remedial objectives of the litigation alter the types of remedies sought