LIANS Claims Counsel
Employer: NOVA SCOTIA BARRISTERS’ SOCIETY (NSBS) /
LAWYERS' INSURANCE ASSOCIATION OF NOVA SCOTIA (LIANS)
Position: LIANS Claims Counsel
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Job Location: Halifax, NS
The Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society regulates the legal profession in Nova Scotia in the public interest.
The Lawyers’ Insurance Association of Nova Scotia, established as a not-for-profit corporation under the Legal Profession Act provides the Society’s members with their mandatory professional liability insurance coverage.
Reporting to LIANS’ Director of Insurance, the Claims Counsel manages claims and potential claims made against insured lawyers and determines the appropriate course of action to be taken including:
- Identifying and reviewing coverage issues and assessing claims on an ongoing basis
- Managing outside counsel retained to defend claims
- Defending, handling and negotiating resolutions of and settling claims as appropriate
- Providing assistance in developing and administration of the Society’s Legal Services Support (including risk and practice management) program that supports lawyers, law firms and legal entities to utilize management systems that promote ethical legal practice
Requirements, Skills and Assets
This position requires a strong legal background, practice experience, initiative, sound judgement and the ability to work autonomously. Additionally, it requires the ability to assess risk and legal liability in order to effectively and pro-actively manage claims made against lawyers and the financial exposure of LIANS. In particular, the position requires:
- A practicing lawyer
- A minimum of 5 years’ broad practice experience.
- Thorough knowledge of statutory and common law including the Nova Scotia Land Registration Act
- Experience in identifying organizational risk and practice management strategies
- Sound legal analytical, research and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Highly developed interpersonal and leadership skills, particularly as they apply to interactions with members, counsel and the public
- Organizational and time management skills, the ability to work under deadlines and manage competing priorities
- Understanding of statistical and data analysis and the ability to measure outcomes
- Strong word processing, computer database and relevant technical skills, e.g. report and presentation creation
- Proven conflict resolution and negotiation skills with the ability to analyze situations, discern issues and communicate empathetically
- Knowledge of the legal profession and law firm structure, culture and operations
- Able to develop training materials and facilitate training programs
- Litigation experience is an asset
Closing date: This posting will remain open and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit your application (including resume and cover letter) via email to email@example.com.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications plus a full benefit package as well as an RSP program.
NSBS and LIANS value diversity in the workplace and are equal opportunity employers. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.