LEGAL AND POLICY ADVISOR
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
LEGAL AND POLICY ADVISOR
JUSTICE & PUBLIC SAFETY
LOCATION - Charlottetown
FULL-TIME EXCLUDED POSITION (Commencing Immediately)
Reporting to the Director of Family Law and Court Services, the Solicitor & Legal and Policy Advisor provides leadership in the delivery of reliable, accurate, timely and well-informed advice to the Division of Family Law and Court Services on legal and policy issues and the potential legal and policy implications of legislative, policy, programs, initiatives and projects within the Division.
- Analyzing, developing and implementing new, or modified Divisional legislation, policies, programs and processes within the Division’s Sections: Court Administration, Office of the Public Guardian, Public Trustee and Official Guardian and Family Law;
- Reviewing Divisional materials related to Bills (responses to Standing Committee correspondence; line-by-line summaries; Q&A documents; introductory statements, etc) and providing summaries and recommendations to the Director of Family Law and Court Services;
- Providing leadership and guidance relating to Divisional legislative and policy matters, including the identification of necessary amendments to Acts, Regulations and Rules of Civil Procedure;
- Monitoring Divisional program operations to ensure that policies and procedures are reviewed and meeting operational realities, goals and objectives;
- Responding to client incidents and/or complaints on behalf of the Director of Family Law and Court Services where directed;
- Providing mentorship, support and professional development to Family Law Section staff that are responsible for providing client focused services to assigned sites and functional areas;
- Act as the Legal Advisor to the Family Law, Court Administration, and Public Guardian & Trustee sections within the division;
- Overseeing provincial leadership of Federal/Provincial/Territorial relations that impact the Division of Family Law and Court Services; and,
- Other duties as required.
- Must have a law degree and be a member of, or eligible for membership, with the Prince Edward Island Bar Law Society supplemented by extensive experience as a practicing lawyer, preferably in government or in the area of public law.
- Extensive experience in the provision of legal advice in relation to family law and court administration
.- Extensive experience in developing and amending legislation and policies and specific legal experience related to the interpretation of legislation and policy.
- Considerable supervisory experience and excellent writing and analytical skills are required.
- Must have the ability to interpret and apply provisions of complex legislation.
- Strong investigative skills, time management and organizational skills are required.
- A proven ability to develop good working relations with external organizations and agencies.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Vizio, Adobe Pro and Groupwise.
Please Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results.
Salary Range: $48.73 - $60.91 per hour (25S Excluded)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Posting ID: 134907-1018JPPI
Closing Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:00 p.m. AST
Please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE.
Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms.
You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.gov.pe.ca/jobs. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone 368-4080.