City of Saint John Temporary Solicitor (Up to 1 Year)
Corporate Services - City Solicitor's Office
Salary - $87,759 - $104,591
To provide, under the supervision of the City Solicitor, a full range of legal services to the Civic Administration primarily in the areas of real property and contract. The nature of the service provided by the City Solicitor's office will require that the position provide legal services in other and varied areas from time to time. This is a temporary position of a period of up to 12 months. If a vacancy in a permanent position arises within the City Solicitor's office within the term of the temporary assignment, the incumbent would be eligible for consideration.
Provides legal services to the Civic Administration by:
- Acting as the City counsel in processing real property transactions;
- Preparing a wide range of contracts to which the City is a party and supporting from a legal perspective the Civic Administration in its development of the content thereof;
- Represesnting the City before Courts and administrative bodies respecting matters lying within the scope of this position;
- Managing crises that involve legal issues including the devleopment of strategy to investigate proposed solutions and minimize liability exposure for the City;
- Assessing the liability of the City's position respecting proposed contractual terms and also respecting existing disputes;
- An ability to - think clearly, communicate effectively and collaborate productively with others in the Civic Administration;
- To act decisively;
- To conduct thorough legal research and effectively incorporate the results in the services delivered;
- To work independently and manage time efficiently.
Requires an individual who has a law degree and has memberhsip in or eligibility for membership to the New Brunswick Law Society and the Canadian Bar Association; must have a minimum of three years at the bar with experience directly related to the work identified herein or clearly demonstrated expertise in a component thereof. It would be a definite asset to have experience and a keen interest in administrative law.
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their cover letters and resumes to:
City of Saint John
Attention: Hiring Committee
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/employment opportunities)
The City of Saint John is an equal opportunity employer. Only those applicants being considered further will be contacted.