Attorney - Intellectual Property
About ORB™: ORB™ is the fastest growing toy company in North America, doing business in over 60 countries, and internationally recognized for our award winning brands and high quality products. We expect to hire up to 40 new creative professionals in the coming year! Working at ORB™ gives you the experience of working in a major international company with the growth potential, hands on experience, and learning opportunities one would find in a much smaller company. Our main focus is to develop toys that create moments of awe and wonder for children all around the globe. We provide a working environment that is full of fast-paced excitement, collaborative creativity, and opportunity.
The Role: The ideal candidate will have experience in contracts administration and management of trademark, copyright and patent clearance, registration, and renewal matters. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, strong client services orientation, and excellent follow up and communication skills. The best candidate likely has training received at a larger law firm or other global business, and is smart, highly organized, efficient, thinks creatively, has a positive work attitude, and is comfortable following directions as well as working independently.
Core duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the request for trademark, copyright and patent filings with outside legal counsel including initial and comprehensive world-wide searches
- Partner with internal teams across the Brands to review products, names, designs and marketing materials to ensure compliance with trademark and copyright laws
- Review intellectual property filings, assess risk and provide recommendations to senior stakeholders for which names to register trademark and URLs
- Liaise with intellectual property law firms in North America and Asia. Assist with goal of establishing and implementing global trademark filing and enforcement strategies
- Monitor and protect the company’s valuable intellectual property by drafting cease and desist letters, investigating infringement, and partnering with internal teams on social media and domain name issues
- In partnership with outside legal counsel, provide litigation support including documentation associated with court filings, litigation holds, evidence collection and management
- Review and manage all legal correspondence including contracts, leases, terms and conditions, licenses, and non-disclosure agreements and the like
- Preparation and filing of routine corporate documents, maintain corporate records
- Create and maintain ORBTM’s in-house systems for tracking status, deadlines and actions due in contract and intellectual property matters, including certificates of registration, naming conventions, trademark renewals
Required skills and knowledge:
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property clearance, filing, and prosecution practices and rules
- Ability to work with multiple departments with conflicting and demanding deadlines
- Flexible and able to adapt to last minute direction and changes with demonstrated ability to work in a creative, fast-paced environment
- Balance risks associated with internal actions and business decisions to provide recommendations for appropriate actions
- Demonstrate the ability to distill and clearly explain legal principles and opinions to business partners at all levels
- Strong organizational, time management and verbal and written communication skills including presentation and negotiation skills
- Team player who builds relationships through collaboration, approachability, trust and credibility
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Law
- 5+ years’ experience in a law firm with a focus on trademark and copyright law
- Experience in advertising law, preferred
Additional experience helpful:
- Knowledge of Charter of the French Language in relation to packaging and labels
- Knowledge of WebTMS or similar trademark docketing software
- Experience in enforcement work, cease and desist letters, social media takedowns, trademark investigations, and UDRP domain name dispute proceedings
- Promotions and advertising experience, including sweepstakes and contests
- Preparation and management of U.S. and Canadian copyright filings
- Knowledge of Customs recordals and other border measures to protect intellectual property rights.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter that highlights how your past experience aligns with our environment and requirements to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.