Barteaux Durnford is a boutique labour and employment law firm representing private and public sector employers throughout Atlantic Canada. We are the Atlantic Canada member of the Employment Law Alliance, the world’s largest network of labour and employment lawyers.
We pride ourselves on our team work and emphasize the importance of a collaborative and positive culture. We offer challenging work, the latest in technology, great office space in downtown Halifax, competitive compensation and benefits, and a collegial work environment.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant/Receptionist for a full-time opportunity. This position will be a varied role for someone who is dynamic and willing to undertake a range of tasks.
Job Title: Legal Assistant/Receptionist
Reports to: Partner and Office Manager/Accountant
Job Purpose: The position will include preparing legal correspondence, reports and other documents; scheduling appointments, mediations, arbitrations and discoveries; organizing and maintaining client files; client billing; managing and responding to emails and phone calls; booking meeting rooms; and undertaking a range of administrative tasks as identified by the Office Manager/Accountant.
Knowledge, Qualities & Experience Required:
- A Legal Assistant certificate is preferred. However, varying combinations of education and experience may be accepted;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and experience with Document Management is an asset along with an understanding of litigation and eDiscovery procedures;
- Excellent transcription and proof reading skills;
- Be highly organized and detail oriented;
- A quick learner with an aptitude for computers and various software programs;
- Strong communication, organizational, problem-solving, decision-making and project management skills;
- Team player providing exception levels of service to clients, lawyers and colleagues;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and remain productive within a time-sensitive and fast-paced environment; and
- Exhibit common sense, a smart and business-like appearance, patience and a sense of teamwork.
We offer a competitive compensation package, modern offices and a great culture. This is an excellent opportunity for candidates who enjoy a challenge and want to be part of a small, exciting law firm.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Jo-Ann.Melanson@BarteauxDurnford.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.