PUBLIC TRUSTEE, PUBLIC AND OFFICIAL GUARDIAN
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
PUBLIC TRUSTEE, PUBLIC AND OFFICIAL GUARDIAN
JUSTICE & PUBLIC SAFETY
LOCATION – CHARLOTTETOWN
FULL-TIME EXCLUDED POSITION (Commencing Immediately)
Reporting to the Director of Family Law and Court Services, the primary purpose of the Public Trustee, Public and Official Guardian is to act on behalf of medically assessed, incompetent persons who are unable to manage their own affairs. This includes the power to make financial, legal, medical, and educational and other personal decisions on behalf of clients. The position is accountable for the administration of the estates of minors, deceased persons and missing persons as well as independent oversight in court settlement matters for minors and persons under disability.
Duties will include:
- Acting as the manager of the Office of the Public Trustee, Public and Official Guardian Section within the Family Law and Court Services Division, including staffing, evaluating employee performance and maintaining section budgets;
- Holding statutory appointments as Public Guardian, Public Trustee and Official Guardian;
- Acting as the principal decision maker on asset management with the Public Trustee’s Office, including property, investments and personal property;
- Assisting individuals who are unable to look after their financial affairs as Committee, a power or attorney, or estate administrator in accordance with legislation and policy that impacts the Office;
- Maintaining client assets in excess of $9 million, held in trust;
- Attending Supreme Court as an Applicant or Defendant in order to ensure that the rights of Public Trustee clients are appropriately represented.
- Acting as the principal decision maker on Guardianship files and being on call to address emergent issues relating to client decisions;
- Reviewing legal and medical documents to determine whether a client should come under the care of the Public Guardians;
- Making health treatment decisions on behalf of persons in accordance with Consent to Treatment and Health Care Directives Act;
- Providing legal information on services relating to the Public Guardian to the local bar and judiciary, the court and client families;
- Acting as litigation guardian of minors and other persons when required to do so under the Act and the Rules of Court;
- Other duties as required.
- A law degree and be a member, or eligible for membership, with the Prince Edward Island Bar Law Society supplemented by extensive experience as a practicing lawyer;
- Considerable experience in laws that relate to functions carried out by the Public Trustee, Public Guardian and Official Guardian and in a client facing litigation environment;
- Considerable supervisory experience;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills; proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets;
- Ability to interpret and apply provisions of complex legislation;
- Strong investigative skills, time management and organizational skills;
- Flexibility to manage a broad range of tasks is essential;
- Must be comfortable preparing and making presentations to groups;
- A proven ability to develop good working relations with external organizations and agencies;
- A proven ability to work independently and manage a high volume, complex case load;
- A proven ability to develop policy and procedures and undertake ongoing review to ensure operational and legal validity of office policies;
- The successful applicant must provide a satisfactory criminal records check and vulnerable sector check prior to beginning employment;
- The successful applicant may be required to obtain a Level II Security Clearance.
Please Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. The successful candidate will be the only individual receiving written notification of competition results. The "Notification of Successful Candidates" list posted on the Employment Opportunity board will serve to inform all other applicants of competition results.
Salary Range: $51.27 - $64.10 per hour (Level 26 Excluded)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Posting ID: 132950-0418JPPI
Closing Date: Monday, May 14, 2018 5:00 p.m.
Please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8.Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms.¿ You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at www.gov.pe.ca/jobs.Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone 368-4080.