Legal Counsel and Manager of Claims
Seaboard Transport is a privately-held organization comprised of number transport brands across Canada and the United States. We are a leader within the North American transportation industry that operates with innovation and creativity. We have grown by providing excellent service in both the petroleum and chemical industries and have diversified into dedicated transport of other bulk commodities. Our organization is driven by entrepreneurial values focusing on safe, reliable and professional service.
We offer a fast-paced, challenging work environment that is constantly growing and evolving. We are excited to add a Legal Counsel and Manager of Claims to our team at our headquarters in Dartmouth, NS. We are looking for an individual who is interested in developing their career while contributing to the growth of our business in a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
Position: Legal Counsel and Manager of Claims
Location: Dartmouth, NS
- The primary focus of this role is to manage claims in an effort to minimize loss following an accident or incident
- Provide legal advice and coordinate legal service providers on a wide variety of corporate matters
- The role will also be responsible for forward-looking risk mitigation and management
- The incumbent will manage all accident and incident files and act as a company representative with various groups, such as: independent contractors, lawyers, insurance companies, environmental consultants etc.
- Provide accurate reporting on losses to management and senior management
- Work to build and maintain effective relationships throughout the organization in order to add value to various divisions
- Provision of legal assistance and advice in dealing with reviews, investigations or claims against, and by the company
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor of Laws from a recognized University
- Member of the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- 2-5 years in active practice of law preferred
- Exposure to the Canadian courts system
- Previous experience with or extensive knowledge of insurance claims and policies relevant to the transportation industry considered an asset
- A versatile corporate/commercial law background, with the ability to identify and respond to complex legal, regulatory and business issues under time constraints
- Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong influencing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
We are committed to employment equity and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, aboriginal people and persons with disabilities.
To apply please submit your cover letter and resume via email to: