PART-TIME LEGAL ASSISTANT POSITIONS (2) - NOVA SCOTIA LEGAL AID COMMISSION
In 1963, a legislative process was created to clear up land title, and ownership, issues for residents who live in thirteen specific communities within Nova Scotia. The process allows residients in these Land Title Clarification areas to give information to the government about how they (or those from whom they have inherited or bought the land) have used and occupied the land for at least 20 years.
Position: Two experienced Legal Assistants, for one-year contract positions, are being sought as part of the Land Titles Clarification Project. They will be dedicated to the land title clarification areas of North Preston, East Preston, Cherry Brook, Lincolnville and Sunnyville. These positions will be located in the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM). The successful candidates will provide administrative support to the legal teams working with the residents in the land clarification areas to obtain clear title. An understanding of the African Nova Scotian community and the unique context of each individual community, its historical significance, and the current challenges would be an asset. Start date is to be as soon as possible.
Ideal Abilities and Skills:
- Minimum Grade 12 High School Diploma.
- Paralegal or 5 years' equivalent training or related relevant experience in the areas of property and estate law.
- Experience working with the public and knowledge of real estate, estate & probate and community programs.
- Abillty to work independently, to take initiative and to use judgment in matters of extreme confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team setting.
- The candidate should be proficient in transcription of dictation with excellent typing and communication skills, including attention to detail, accuracy and capacity to work under pressure of deadlines and multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to work in a high stress environment is an asset.
- Proficiency with personal computers including knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
Salary Level: Clerical Classification and Pay Plan (CL), plus benefits.
Deadline for Applications: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 4:00 PM.
Reply To: Submit resume with cover letter to:
Operations Administrative Assistant
Nova Scotia Legal Aid Commission
920-1701 Hollis Street
Halifax, NS B3J 3M8
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. We have an Employment Equity Policy and welcome applications from historically disadvantaged groups, including: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities, and Women in occupations or positons where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify, on your application form, cover letter, or resume.
These are term opportunities with a scheduled end date of December 2019.
While we appreciate receiving all applications, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will be held in strict confidence.