In-House Legal Counsel - Dartmouth, NS
Intact Insurance's Legal Department is growing, therefor we have exciting new opportunities! We are looking for In-House Legal Counsel for our Dartmouth, NS office.
As Legal Counsel you will work as part of the Legal Claims team providing representation to the claims department on Property and Casualty litigation files. By utilizing your litigation and analytical skills, you will work to identify legal issues impacting on claim resolution and be able to develop a creative and proactive approach to file resolution. You will:
- Handle insurance defence files of varying complexities independently from beginning to conclusion
- Independently prepare and conduct applications/motions, discoveries, mediations, arbitrations, mediation briefs and pre-trial memoranda
- Prepare and present educational legal seminars to claims department
- Maintain productive and effective communications with claims department and adjusters
- Act as a mentor and participate in education and training for junior counsel
- Member in good standing with Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- 5+ years of experience in insurance defence litigation, ideally with an emphasis on trial experience
- Experience in the following areas is a definite asset: property damage, bodily injury and/or subrogation
- Experience in handling multi-party actions
- Expertise in drafting pleadgins, conducting discoveries and trials and alternative dispute resolution
- Proficient in alternative dispute resolution including independent preparation and conduct of mediations
- Superior organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple case files simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective client relationships and function well in a medium sized office setting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, combined with research, negotiation and analytical skills
Applicants must be permanently eligible to work in Canada upon hire. Proof of eligibility for permanent roles may come in the form of a Canadian birth certificate, Canadian passport, Canadian citizenship certificate, permanent residence card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence document.
As part of Intact's selection process, candidates may be requested to consent to background checks relevant to the role under consideration for, prior to receiving a job offer. These could include: work references, education and credential confirmation, employment verification, identity check, credit report, criminal offence and driver's licence record.
Posting closes on February 16th, 2018.
Please apply online at careers.intact.ca
Job posting #114675