TORYS: Legal Assistant, Halifax
We are seeking a Legal Assistant to join our Legal Services Centre (LSC) in Halifax, Nova Scotia. This position provides support for all administrative related tasks and works closely with LSC members as well as the other Torys’ offices. The successful candidate will be provided with necessary training and professional support to ensure their success in this position.
- Provide administrative support to principals (lawyers and paralegals) which includes travel arrangements, expense reports, boardroom bookings, cheque requisitions, filing, arranging courier packages, handling and reviewing incoming mail/email/fax communications, photocopying, printing, binding and any other administrative assistance as required.
- Create various legal and other documents/agreements through copy typing, transcription, scanning or other methods. Document work includes converting styles, performing mail merges, inserting media into presentations, cross-referencing, indexing, creating tables, working with graphs, charts and objects, using graphics applications etc.
- Proofread and quality check documents for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar, and clarity.
- Update and maintain accuracy of matter intake database.
- Receive, handle, screen and/or direct incoming calls as directed by principals; respond to routine inquiries and requests from clients; and take messages as required.
- Maintain and organize files to ensure they are easily retrievable by principals, file/scan all paper or electronic correspondence/records into the firms document management system.
- Respond promptly to requests and work collaboratively with other departments/members of the Firm.
- Participate in other projects or assignments as required.
ATTRIBUTES & EXPERIENCE
- Some previous related experience, preferably in a professional services firm.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field or equivalent experience to successfully complete the essential requirements of the role.
- Proficient in MS Office product suite - which includes a strong working knowledge of Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Strong client service orientation and familiarity with a formal business environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively within a team environment. High degree of professionalism with the ability to work with poise and discretion.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional attention to detail with strong formatting and proofreading skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Sound judgment including the ability to deal with confidential information with utmost discretion.
- Determined with a can-do approach.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
Torys LLP is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. We focus on maintaining long-term relationships with Canadian and international clients who demand the best advice and service from their outside counsel. We believe that our continuing success over many years has come from adherence to our core values of excellence, client service, collaboration, long-term thinking and utmost professionalism and integrity. Dedication to professional excellence and outstanding client service is Torys’ hallmark. Of equal importance is our commitment to maintaining a collegial working environment – one that brings together individuals with diverse backgrounds, personalities and styles in an atmosphere of friendship and team spirit.
As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. Our positions are best suited to individuals who take pride and ownership in their work and demonstrate exceptional client service in everything they do. At Torys, we take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Torys Legal Services Centre (LSC) is a centre of excellence designed to enhance the value we provide our clients by meeting more of their important legal needs. The LSC’s experienced legal professionals support lawyers across Torys offices with fully integrated and specialized expertise in essential corporate services on a cost, time and process-efficient basis in an open concept office that encourages collaboration and communication. Work conducted by the LSC is integrated seamlessly into our client relationships.
HOW TO APPLY: Please address your resume and cover letter in confidence, stating your salary expectations to Kimberly Sheldrake-Head at email@example.com.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Kimberly Sheldrake-Head, Senior Manager, Professional Resources.