Corporate Associate, Halifax
CORPORATE ASSOCIATE, HALIFAX
We are seeking a corporate lawyer to join our Legal Services Centre (LSC) in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In this role, you will have key oversight of the closing process for one of our key clients and will review non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) for key clients, revising them to meet the clients’ requirements, advising on provisions, and negotiating with counterparty’s counsel. You will work as part of a team with colleagues in our Toronto office to carry out this work quickly and accurately in accordance with established policies and procedures. This work offers the successful candidate an opportunity to engage in challenging, important work in a flexible and collaborative setting.
The ideal candidate will have a strong service orientation, excellent time management and organizational skills and superior attention to detail, and be able to work quickly and accurately on a high volume of NDAs. We are seeking someone who can adapt easily to new processes and technologies and who wants to engage in important work for a prestigious client in a flexible and collaborative setting.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Corporate law experience at a top law firm, financial institution, private equity firm or pension fund, including exposure to some of the following:
- draft pricing supplements and notes (determine which precedent to use when preparing the pricing supplements, understand the various structures and spot inconsistencies/issues, signing off on documents, etc.)
- advise on incidental securities law matters (e.g. prospectus renewals, timelines, pre-clearance and filing requirements)
- private equity and other private markets fund formation and fund investment matters, including in particular an understanding of side letters and the ability to conduct an MFN review for sponsors or investors
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent judgment, a high degree of professionalism, excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to work collaboratively with client personnel and constructively with counterparty’s counsel
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines while working in a fast paced environment
- Ability deal easily with ambiguity and change, including changing priorities, timelines and processes and contribute to process improvement initiatives
- Member of good standing of a provincial bar and willing to be called to the Ontario bar
Torys LLP is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. We focus on maintaining long-term relationships with Canadian and international clients who demand the best advice and service from their outside counsel. We believe that our continuing success over many years has come from adherence to our core values of excellence, client service, collaboration, long-term thinking and utmost professionalism and integrity. Dedication to professional excellence and outstanding client service is Torys’ hallmark. Of equal importance is our commitment to maintaining a collegial working environment – one that brings together individuals with diverse backgrounds, personalities and styles in an atmosphere of friendship and team spirit. As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. At Torys, we take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Torys Legal Services Centre is designed to enhance the value Torys provides to its clients by meeting more of their important legal needs. The LSC supports lawyers across Torys offices with fully integrated and specialized expertise in essential corporate services. Work conducted by the LSC is integrated seamlessly into our client relationships. The LSC’s legal and paralegal professionals represent a broad range of law firm and in-house experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to Kimberly Sheldrake-Head at email@example.com.
Click here to apply online to this opportunity.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require immediate accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Kimberly Sheldrake-Head, Senior Manager, Professional Resources.