Legal Assistant – Creditor Rights and Recovery Group
One of Halifax's leading law firms, Burchells LLP, provides a wide range of legal services to regional, national and international clients, including multinational corporations, small business owners, major banks, individuals, insurance companies and all levels of government.
Providing support to the lawyers of Burchells is a group of hard working and enthusiastic professionals who take pride in exceptional client service and team work.
Burchells is currently recruiting for a fulltime, permanent legal assistant to provide support in the Creditor Rights and Recovery Group working in the collections practice area.
Job Description – Legal Assistant – Collections
- Enhance lawyer effectiveness and the delivery of quality legal services through production of timely, accurate work that meets our work standard of “Do it once, do it right”.
- Manage secured collections matters to the satisfaction of the client and responsible lawyers.
- Provide efficient, accurate and knowledgeable support in relation to collections.
- Support lawyers and co-workers in a timely, accurate and helpful manner.
- Collection team members recognize growth and comprehension of the collection process through increased self-sufficiency.
- Open new files in accordance with firm and client policies and procedures.
- Proceed with collection process independently from beginning to end.
- Work with and monitor the third party systems for notes and statuses and process accordingly.
- Communicate with debtors to make payment arrangements.
- Follow bring forward system to ensure next steps in collections matters are brought to the attention of the responsible lawyers.
- Document production such as letters, claims, emails, etc.
- Communicate verbally and written with the applicable courts.
- Process incoming payments.
- Understand and work as part of a larger team of assistants working on collections files.
- General office duties including handling mail, filing, couriers, telephone calls, etc.
- Posting time entries and soft costs, requisitioning trust and general cheques, running basic accounting reports and bills.
- Cull and close physical files.
General Administrative and Collections Support
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities as available.
- Achieves organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to position accomplishments.
- Formal Legal Assistant/Paralegal Education.
- Minimum one year legal experience working in a collections department.
- Sound judgment in high-pressure situations.
- Flexibility, initiative, organization and prioritization skills are critical.
- Strong Communication Skills.
- Excellent computer knowledge – full Microsoft Office Suite 2010.
- Working knowledge of third-party software would be considered an asset.
- Above average ability to work in a team environment with all members of the firm.
Burchells offers a competitive salary and full comprehensive benefit package.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Charlene F. Harrison
Applications will be accepted up to March 3, 2017. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.