Commercial Litigation Paralegal
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Halifax, Truro and New Glasgow. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are currently seeking a litigation paralegal for complex commercial litigation in our downtown Halifax location. The Commercial Litigation Paralegal will be responsible for assisting lawyers in all phases of litigation up to and including preparation and attendance at trial. Practice will focus primarily on business disputes, property disputes, expropriation and general litigation matters. You will be a key member of the litigation team and must be able to independently perform a variety of complex paralegal duties with limited supervision.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Coordination and file management from commencement through trial
- Maintenance of case pleadings, correspondence, discovery and research
- Gather and organize paper and electronic documents and evidence
- Review, prepare and draft court filings and pleadings, identifying relevant documents and organizing exhibits and reproduced record
- Review and analyze discovery responses and/or large amounts of data
- Prepare trial binders
- Act as liaison between lawyers and others parties, such as clients, witnesses, experts, court officials, and/or vendors
- Litigation experience (3-5 years, complex commercial litigation)
- Knowledge of litigation support software, electronic document management and electronic disclosure
- Superior editing, proofreading, grammar, spelling, punctuation and composition skills
- Knowledge of applicable legal terminology and forms
- Ability to operate independently and prioritize work accordingly
- Ability to manage a high volume workload with key deadlines
- Skilled in docketing and electronic calendaring systems
- Experience managing document intensive matters
- Integrity and a willingness to take personal accountability for work product
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a team
- Flexibility to work atypical hours as cases and clients require
If you are interested in and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.