Senior Solicitor - 18 month term
Nova Scotia Power's greatest source of energy is our people. In a culture focused on safety, we're committed to providing exceptional service to our customers and rewarding jobs to our employees. We're hiring solution-minded people excited to help us grow into the future. We are currenlty looking to fill the position of Senior Solicitor (18 month term).
Under the direction of the EVP Regulatory, Legal and Business Planning, the Senior Solicitor will advise on a broad range of corporate/commercial issues relating to our business. The successful candidate will work with the senior management team and other members of NSPI's legal services team on assessing and advising on strategies to address business issues, opportunities and risks. The incumbent will be involved with a wide variety of legal matters including the following:
- Reviewing, negotiating and drafting of commercial contracts;
- Interpretation of and provision of advice on the Company's contractual obligations;
- Review of Company activities and business decisions to provide legal advice on future steps and to identify legal risks;
- Provide counsel to interbal business departments on diverse range of issues including procurement, IT, privacy, employment and labour, environment and real estate;
- Coordinate and cooperate with other business units within the Company to identify legal issues and risks;
- Assist in the co-ordination and supervision of outside counsel, including litigation matters;
- The review and interpretation of laws, rules and regulations for compliance purposes; and
- Assessing and advising on strategies to address business issues, opportunities and risks.
You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of co-workers, by observing and ensuring compliance with all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations. You will be accountable for environmental performance as it relates to the environmental management system processes and initiatives.
Skills, Capabilities and Experience:
Preferred candidates will have a law degree along with five (5) or more years of corporate and commercial legal experience as in-house counsel or in private practive. You must be, or eligible to be, a member of the Nova Scotia Barristers' Society.
This position will appeal to individuals seeking a demanding role in a progessive organization. Excellent communicaton skills, the ability to work effectively on a team and an analytical mind are requisite competencies. You also offer the ability to offer strategic, practical solutions to business and legal problems in a fast-paced environment. Experience in the areas of energy and construction law would be considered an asset.
All interested canddiates should apply via our website www.nspower.ca/careers no later than December 30, 2016.
We value diversity in the workplace and strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates including African Nova Scotians and other members of the visible minority community, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles.