Lawyer, Legal Services Centre, Torys LLP
Torys LLP is currently seeking experienced corporate lawyers to join our Legal Services Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. As a lawyer in our Legal Services Centre (LSC), you will work on national and international matters originating in our Toronto, New York and Calgary offices, to provide the high level of service and quality for which Torys is renowned. We are seeking experienced and talented lawyers who can adapt easily to new processes and technologies and who want to engage in important work for prestigious clients in a flexible and collaborative setting. These non-partnership track long-term career roles are ideal for lawyers who prefer to focus on practising law. You will not have to devote time to marketing or client development. The LSC team will include lawyers with a range of practice experience (from 3 years to 10+ years), and we will grow the team as required. All LSC lawyers will be included in our professional development programs and all firm-wide events and initiatives. Compensation and benefits will be competitive. The LSC team will focus on a limited range of matters, initially including:
- drafting and reviewing commercial agreements;
- performing due diligence;
- implementing corporate reorganizations;
- drafting and reviewing banking and security documents;
- performing general counsel work for selected clients’ investee companies; and
- providing corporate specialty expertise.
By using technology, process-mapping and project management techniques, the LSC team will establish a high level of efficiency, effectiveness and expertise. You should expect your work to be recurring in order to accomplish the LSC’s goal to be best-of-class in service and quality. An ideal candidate will have:
- corporate law experience in private practice or in-house;
- the ability to work well independently and as part of a team;
- excellent interpersonal skills and a willingness to collaborate;
- the ability to deal easily with ambiguity and change, including changing priorities, timelines and processes;
- a keen interest in learning and applying new technology;
- superior client service skills and a strong work ethic;
- good judgment; and
- the ability to embrace new challenges and focus on continuing professional development.
You must be a member in good standing of a provincial bar and willing to be called to the Ontario bar. If our culture and the LSC opportunity excite you, please submit your cover letter, résumé and (if you have less than five years’ practice experience) transcripts online here. Applications should be addressed to Danielle Traub, our Head of Legal Recruitment, by August 31, 2014.